Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Still Waiting and Growing ...


39 Weeks - Sunday, April 30th

I had my appointment with my midwife today and all is well. My blood pressure has returned to normal as I've been sure to avoid Canadian Tire this week. My belly was measuring 38 cm, so I grew a cm this week. The baby seemed to be a little lower than previously, but not what you would call dropped. The midwife discussed our options if he ends up being overdue. I have another appointment on Monday, since I will be 40 weeks on Saturday. If nothing has happened before then, the midwife may sweep my membranes. Who knew such a thing even existed.

The midwife basically "sweeps" a finger around the neck of your womb (cervix). The aim is to separate the membranes around your baby from your cervix. This releases hormones called prostaglandins, which may kick-start your labour.

A membrane sweep increases the likelihood that labour will start within 48 hours. Although hopefully I may go on my own before then.

Other than that, I'm feeling pretty good. Still swollen and very uncomfortable especially my hands, but I seem to have gotten a burst of energy the past few days. My stomach issues seem to have also passed. Too bad walking around the mall didn't induce labour or the baby would definitely have arrived this week. I also wish I had a dollar for every person who stopped and asked me one or all three of the following questions:
- When is your baby due?
- Do you know if it's a boy or a girl?
- Do you have a name picked out yet?
If I did, I'd say I'd have enough to put the kid through university. Although, I'd say the lady working at customer service at Walmart who rubbed my belly today was my most interesting experience of the week.

I also applied for my "pogey" today. I can't get the tune out of my head they used to sing on the Wonderful Grand Band years ago, "It's UIC standing in the long line, It's UIC waiting for a cheque...".

I'm very happy that car seat/stroller combo and our dresser has arrived. So, I am now fully prepared. I think John is getting anxious for me to have something or rather a little someone to keep me busy. I'm practically combing the house looking for clothes to wash. When he gets up in the morning the shirt he wore to work the day before is already washed and hanging in the closet. I haven't resorted to taking the shirt off his back to wash - just yet.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear everything has arrived, it won't be long now before the little baby boy is home with you guys. I can't wait...and I know you two will make wonderful parents.

Love Nannie Green

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home