Wednesday, April 26, 2006

38 Weeks and Counting ...

So, we're about 10 days away from the due date and all I can say is poor John. I think I may put him over the edge before this little fella comes along.

On Saturday it seems I had a bit of a stomach ache all day. Accompanied by occassional cramps and many trips to the bathroom. Which if you read enough material on-line can be a sign of early labour. Turns out I must of picked up a stomach bug or have eaten something that did not agree with me. In any case, John had a very long evening while I read everything I could find on the subject. I then called Lori, my resident baby expert, for her assurance that I wasn't in labour. Although, she had the same advice as I read everywhere else "You'll know!!!"

I had my weekly midwife appt. yesterday and all is well. The baby's head is fixed, but not yet dropped. She said to be prepared for up to three more weeks. All I can say is - poor John if he has three more weeks of this. My blood pressure was a bit higher than usual, but I believe this was more related to an aggravating afternoon at Canadian Tire than anything else. I took the car to get the winter tires changed and the guy absolutely promised me the car for 4:00 at the latest, since I had my midwife appt. at 4:30 in Carleton Place. Needless to say, at 3:45 when the work had not even been started, I got a bit cranky and just asked for the car back. The "guy" insisted he would get it done for me by 4:10. Which he did, but not without me spending 25 minutes with my blood boiling that I wasn't going to make it to my appt on time.

Then, I got to learn of the joys of prenatal perineal massage from the midwife. If you have no clue what this is - count yourself lucky. I will not go into the graphic details - suffice to say it's a technique to help reduce the risk of tearing during birth. They advise you to have your partner assist you - if you can't reach. I can't help but thinking perhaps this is one of those areas in which you should just let nature take it's course and hope for the best.

My belly was measuring the same as last week (37 cm), but the midwife said this was no cause for concern. She said if the measurement didn't change again next week, they might send me for another ultrasound. I, of course am now obsessing. I figure it can't hurt to eat a little extra just to make sure John Jr. is getting all the nutrients he needs. The irony of it all is that I'm fat and don't really care what I eat - but my stomach must be squat to the size of a chickpea cause I eat a few bites and I'm full.

Our crib has arrived from Sears. One less thing for me to obsess about. At least now I won't have to stick the poor child on the mattress in the corner of the room. Now if only our stroller/car seat combo and chest of drawers would arrive - I would be a happy woman. Of course John would then have to put on with me nagging him to put it all together ...

4 Comments:

Blogger bunmaster said...

hey connie. I had a few weeks where Freyja measured small too but obviously she came out pretty good. I opted out of the perineal massage - the midwife said the benefits were inconclusive in the studies. It seems if you are gonna tear there's not much you can do. Anyway I didn't tear & no massage so take that as you will though I did get the good ol stretch n sweep. That was fun. ugh. Sucks about the crappy tire thing.

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Connie,

I'm following your pregnancy since the beginning and you are so funny! I'm sure John and you will be the best parents of the world! Let us know when John Jr arrives. We miss you!

Eugenie

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Connie,

I read your postings all the time and I can't believe your due date is almost here. I was in Gambo during Easter and visited your mom several times. She is so excited. She wished she was with you then. I also wanted to let you know that I opted out of the perineal massage as well and I did not have any tears and no stitches. Just pray that the baby has a small head and you will be fine!! By the way I hope you like the bunny slippers they are so cute and actually stays on the baby's feet. That's all for now. Good luck and don't forget to pack flip flops in your bag for taking a shower in the hospital.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

Hi Alison,

I am actually sitting eating breakfast with Mom and she just gave me the little slippers. They're so cute. Thank you very much. Good tip on the flip flops - I hadn't heard that one. I'll definitely put them in my bag right away.

Connie

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home