Tuesday, February 28, 2006

30 weeks and 3 days

I had my appointment with the OBS today and all is well. I am measuring 30 cms which is right on track for 30 weeks. The baby's heart rate was 156, which is also great. So, from here on my appts will be every two weeks until 36 weeks, and then they are once a week.

I was a little worried that I didn't seem to be putting on much weight this month. However, I was 174 today (I feel the need to point out this is fully clothed :-)) and last month I was 167. So, I did put on 7 lbs. Must be the pregnancy brain affecting my memory.

My cold is almost gone - now, if I could just get rid of this cough.

And now we have another decision to make. The Ottawa Valley Midwives called this week to say they could now take me as a patient. I had called first when I was pregnant and got put on a waitlist. Then, we had sort of given up on the whole idea when we hadn't heard anything. So, basically you have to pick one primary caregiver. You can go the OBS route or the midwife. Don't panic Dad - it is quite different from the midwives such as Old Mrs. Thoms. These are individuals licensed by the province of Ontario who train for four years. There are lots of different reasons to go with the midwives. There is definitely a lot more support. You're appt.'s aren't as rushed. Today I was in the dr.'s office for 5 mins at most. I had a few questions I wanted to ask, but before I could open my mouth to speak, she had measured me, listened to the baby's heart beat and was on her way.

Also, there are 13 OBS's in Dr. Anderson's circle. Which means I would have less than a 10% chance of actually having her deliver my baby. The midwives work in groups of 4 and although I have one primary midwife, I meet them all. When you go in labour, they come to your house, and if you're feeling up to it you can leave the hospital very shortly after giving birth, since the midwife will monitor you at home. The midwife then comes to your house 1, 3 and 5 days after you give birth to make sure all is well, help you with breastfeeding, answer questions, etc. And they will continue to monitor for up to 6 weeks after. Also, this group delivers at the Queensway Carleton Hospital, so that won't change.

One downside is that the midwives are in Carleton Place, so I'll have to travel about 30 minutes for my appointments.

As it stands right now we have an appt. on Monday, March 6th to meet with the midwives and decide if we want to go with this option. After the meeting, we'll have to decide whether to stick with the OBS or go with the midwives. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

If anyone is interested in reading about the midwives here is their website:
www.ottawavalleymidwives.com

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONNIE,

It's Alison. I was out to Gambo last weekend to show off Kylie and your mom told me about this website. Kylie is lying on my lap as I type. You are going to love being a mom. There is nothing like it! You look great with a baby belly. By the way the epideral is not as bad as it sounds. I hope you feel better soon and good luck with everything. Let me know your email address and I will send you a picture of Kylie. love Alison

7:02 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

Hi Alison,

Glad to get your comment. Between Mom and John's mother I'd say my site will soon be the most popular website in Newfoundland :-) Not sure of your e-mail address, but thought I would post here just in case you read this again. It's Connie.Lush@sympatico.ca. I'd love to see a picture of Kylie.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home