Saturday, March 11, 2006

End of Week 32

The date just seems to be coming closer and closer. Just 8 weeks left to go. According to the Internet the baby's movements peaked this week. John and I can certainly attest to that. We have now taken to watching my belly instead of watching t.v. Although this may speak more to the quality of programming on t.v. these days, than the excitement of the belly watching. According to the same web site, the wrinkles are disappearing from the baby's face, and there may be a lot of hair on their head! If the old wives tale about heart burn is right, then this baby is going to be born with an afro. Apparently since last month the baby has put on about 2 pounds of weight, mostly fat and muscle tissue, bringing the total to about three pounds eleven ounces (1.7 kilograms), and measurements to 40 cms or 15.8 inches! He's also taken a liking to the right side of my rib cage. John and I keep trying to figure out which body part seems to be sitting there, but we really have no clue.

As for me, I am definitely getting increasingly anxious. I don't know if nesting has kicked in yet or not, but I've become obsessed with getting ready for the baby. I am now convinced we will all starve to death if I don't fill the freezer with prepared meals. John assured me that as long as he has a credit card, we will not starve. Although, I'd say scurvy would be a certain fate for all of us if we have to sustain ourselves on pizza and Chinese.

Sleep is a little hard to come by these days, for both John and I. I am not a very enjoyable person to sleep next to these days. I keep tossing and turning all night trying to get comfortable. Then, between getting up and using the bathroom, getting up to get a drink, and then getting up again to try to find something to ease the heartburn, morning arrives all too quickly. For some reason, sleeping is never a problem at 6:00 a.m. when I have to get up and go to work.

We have also completed 4/5 of our prenatal classes and figure we pretty well have learned all we need to know. John figures whatever we don't know now the midwife will help us with. I think my breaking point was having to practice the correct breastfeeding positions, while holding a Curious George monkey wrapped in a receiving blanket. The rest of our class isn't very social. There is another couple from Newfoundland who tend to have a good laugh about it all with John and I, but everyone else in the class just gives us dirty looks. Long story short - we've finished our prenatal classes.

Just received another load of clothes last night from Newfoundland thanks to the very fast growing Sam. Thanks very much Nicole and Alex. We haven't gotten our act together to do much baby shopping yet, but clothes certainly won't be an issue.

We still haven't decided on a name. Although we've been bouncing a few around. We've been trying out a different name just about every day of the week. John trys to get the baby to indicate his preference, by kicking if he likes it. But he kicks at every name - so that hasn't helped much. We figure we'll just have to wait and see which name suits him when we see him.

I've also been experiencing what I think are Braxton Hicks contractions. You can read about them on this website: http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/pregnancy/childbirth/156.html
My belly will go really, really hard periodically during the day. It isn't painful, just uncomfortable, especially when walking. I have an appt. with the midwife on Tuesday, so hopefully so can confirm that's all it is.

I'm going for a pedicure this evening, which will be very nice, since reaching my feet to cut my toe nails have become quite the challenge. Tomorrow is my prenatal yoga class and our spouses are invited to come. Hopefully I can convince John to join me. If I do I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

I'm off to bake casseroles, wash baby clothes and organize ....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home